Sunday, January 13, 2008

Groupiness

Went to church today to check out how many folks signed up for the small groups I'm to form, and found much to my surprise that about twenty people are interested. Pretty massive. We met with another couple at lunch to plan how we're going to find enough leaders to meet the need--about four groups, we hope. A support group and a fellowship group are the top two interests, plus Sharon and I between us will be also facilitating a young adult group and a study group. I love groups. It's like a chemistry experiment: you never know what you're going to get when you mix folks together, but it's almost always interesting. Even if you use the same formula or identical materials, every group and every session is a unique expression of serendipity. For my money, I wish we had a church based on small groups, with an occasional larger group gathering like most churches have every Sunday. I think the important things about church life are found more in small groups than in large worship services. So it'll be fun to see what develops in the next few months...maybe a grand new experiment?

1 comment:

Jay said...

As someone suffering through Chemistry for the first time in 15 years I must protest your analogy. Chemistry is awful, but your group activities sound pleasant. :)